AFS server symlinks and Kerberos authentication

Samuel L. Bayer sam at mitre.org
Fri Nov 9 05:35:27 CET 2001

   Cc: arla-drinkers at stacken.kth.se, aberdeen at linus.mitre.org
   From: Magnus Ahltorp <ahltorp at nada.kth.se>
   Date: 05 Nov 2001 19:08:33 +0100
   Sender: owner-arla-drinkers at stacken.kth.se

   > That's absolutely true, and in fact pretty troublesome. Arla pretty
   > much takes over the machine trying to contact all those cells (none of
   > which it can reach, since I'm behind a firewall). It boots just fine,
   > and I can log in, but it takes 5 minutes or more before it satisfies
   > itself that it knows what's going on in /afs. During that time, the
   > machine barely responds. After that, it's fine, and you're absolutely
   > right that the authentication works as described, but is there any
   > simple way to make this work a little better?

   Arla only does what the programs tell it to. The Finder goes out and
   looks in all the directories, and not only for stat information, but
   it even looks for certain files in the directories.

   One problem is that the Finder does this. One other problem is that
   the Finder hangs when operations take a while. In short, the Finder is
   not very good at handling distant data.

   I have tried to make Apple understand this, but I haven't been very
   successful.

   /Magnus

Thanks.