umount: /afs: devide is busy

Jonas Borgström jonas at codefactory.se
Sun May 27 18:20:40 CEST 2001

Hi,

I've been testing arla for a while now and it seems
to work well. But _sometimes_ I'm unable to unmount /afs
after killing arlad.

"lsof | grep 'afs'" says that noone is using that file-system.

I have mounted an ext2 loopback file-system on /usr/arla/cache
and it also can't be unmounted when "umount /afs" fails.

I can't reproduce it in some simple way, but untaring a large
.tar.gz file or compiling the linux kernel on AFS will
with about 33% probability render the file-system unmountable.

arla seems to work okay, and I have no way of telling if the
file-system will be unmountable until I try. So it don't
matter much until I try to shut down the computer.
So if /afs and /usr/arla/cache can't be unmounted, then / won't
be unmountable either. This will make some file-systems require
fschk when the computer is mounted again.

Is this a known problem, or am I doing something wrong?

I'm using the following computer:
IBM Thinkpad T21, 192 MB ram
Debian unstable
Kernel: 2.4.5 (2.4.4 also tested)
arla: 0.35.3  (0.35.4pre6 also tested)

/ Jonas
Jonas Borgström                  jonas at codefactory.se
CodeFactory AB                   http://www.codefactory.se/
Office: +46 (0)90 71 86 10       Cell: +46 (0)70 248 89 58