Authentication problems with 0.35.4 on MacOS X

Samuel L. Bayer sam at linus.mitre.org
Fri Jun 8 18:06:15 CEST 2001

All -

I've installed 0.35.4 on top of 0.35.3 on MacOS X 10.0.3. I had had a
problem with the previous version in which it was taking forever for
Arla to timeout on inaccessible cells, and the Arla configuration tool
in 0.35.4 addresses that problem just fine. However, I no longer am
able to authenticate.

Previously, /usr/arla/bin/klog worked for me once I added a file
/etc/krb.conf which included the name of my Kerberos server. The
server is a Kerberos 4 server. To the best of my knowledge, that
server hasn't changed, but the authentication now fails. I get an
error "Unable to get an AFS token: Retry count exceeded (send_to_kdc)"
after a looooong wait. Any idea what the story is?

I also noticed that the MacOS Kerberos Authentication application uses
Kerberos 5. This is a little disappointing, since I'd really like to
be able to authenticate in the Finder (I assume that's what the
application lets you do). Are there any plans to make it work for
Kerberos 4?

Thanks in advance for your help -
Sam Bayer
The MITRE Corporation