Problems with many open files using Arla and Mosix

Harald Barth haba at pdc.kth.se
Fri Jun 8 09:35:35 CEST 2001

> Suddently the AFS clients cannot allocate any more memory, even
> though 'free' shows lots of free space.

The arlads are kept local to the node? The tar is allowed to migrate?
Where are the resources exhaused, local or remote end of tar or local
at arlad? Any messages from the user processes or kernel(s) involved?
I suspect that somewhere files are not closed as they should.

Have you run the arla tests?
	cd tests
	WORKDIR=/somewhere/in/afs ./run-tests -fast -all
	# wait for a short time
	WORKDIR=/somewhere/in/afs ./run-tests -all
	# will need some Gb in WORKDIR and runs quite long
what results do you get?

I thought about using Mosix some time ago, but never got to it :-(

arla-drinkers may not be familiar with these:

http://www.mosix.cs.huji.ac.il/
http://www.mosix.cs.huji.ac.il/ftps/mosix4linux.ps.gz

Harald.