Problems with arla, kth4 and heimdal

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jun 7 20:47:41 CEST 2001

Apropos of other comments on this thread I would suggest that the
startup stuff be put in /Library/StartupItems/Arla rather than in
/System/Library/StartupItems/Arla.  First, I've set up my system that
way and it works as advertised.  Second, my understanding of the
distinction is that only Apple-provided stuff should be in /System.
Even HP doesn't touch /System for their printer support.

At 5:39 PM +0200 6/7/01, Magnus Ahltorp wrote:
> > > Both afslog and kinit in heimdal should give you AFS tokens, provided
> > > that you have a correct ThisCell.

> > Where does heimdal look for ThisCell?
>
>In /usr/arla/etc and /usr/vice/etc.

I guess this explains why afslog doesn't work for me, but kalog and
aklog do.  I have arla and kth-krb both built/installed with
--prefix=/usr/local.

Would --use-afsws=/usr/local fix this?  If so do I need to rebuild
kth-krb after installing arla for it to work?  I've worried about
possible circular dependencies in having afs support in the kerberos
when afs may not be installed yet when kerberos is built.

While I'm nattering about afs/kerberos integration:  Does anyone know
if current MIT kerberos 5 has the afs string-to-key hack so it can
interface with an afs kerberos server?  I'm guessing from the absence
of mention in the FAQ (and one of the earlier questions here) that it
doesn't, but I'd love to be told otherwise.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.
h.b.hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu