Compile error with 0.35.1

Love lha at stacken.kth.se
Tue Jan 30 20:23:19 CET 2001

Matt Piechota <piechota at argolis.org> writes:

> My first thought was that this is a conflict with SGI's XFS (I had thought
> it made it into the 2.4.x series).  That's not it, but it brings up the
> question: is there going to be any effort to use arla and SGI XFS
> together, and will arla stop working if SGI XFS makes it into the kernel
> at some point?  And as another question, why was xfs chosen as the
> filesystem name for arla instead of afs or even arlafs?  (Trademark,
> possibly of afs?)

At the time arla's xfs was create SGI's XFS didn't really exist. SGI's was
designed as I understand it around 1993. There is a usenix papper from 1996
that descrips SGI-XFS.

Arla's xfs was (still as I understand it) created in early 1994 or 1995. It
was then named quite naturally named eXternal File System due to it's
design.

The two (or three) XFS was name XFS independently.

We should have to do something about it some day. It's not a problem, yet.

We also have though about the name problem, a good name that wont collide
with any other filesystem (like xFS
<http://now.cs.berkeley.edu/Xfs/xfs.html>) is to name the filesystem "äfs"
(adiaeresis/an 'a' with two dots above it). But then, no other then people
with swedish keyboard (or mapping) might have problems typing the name.