[OpenAFS] How much is ready?

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Fri Dec 28 09:37:59 CET 2001

david at davidkarlsen.com said:
> But: What's the maximum volumesize? (and does serversize scale with
> volsize in any way?)

AFS has fine-grained control in the form of partitions on the server and
volumes within these partitions. AFAIK, partition size is limited only by the
operating system. Volumes have no real sizes, just quota and they are optional
(ie set it to zero and a volume will happily grow to fill the whole partition
it sits in).

I am a relative newbie, and just testing AFS on our server farm, with just
35Gb in my fileserver partitions, but I've read about terabyte+ installations
here.

> And it really doesn't support disconnected operation yet? Are there
> any  other open/free AFS implementations which do? Is disconnected
> mode  planned to be implemented in some feasable time?

It will handle disconnect/reconnect gracefully (I've mounted my cell on my
home machine which is connected through an ISDN dialup line), I don't know
whether real disconnected operation (even if just for r/o volumes) is planned.
--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>