Large volumes

Jon S. Stumpf jon.stumpf at rcn.com
Fri Dec 28 06:33:47 CET 2001

"David J. M. Karlsen" wrote:

> Same time - same files - same problems? The thing is: I may want
> directories bigger than 8GB (all the 8GB in one dir - no subdirs) - so
> making multiple volumes is not an option.

Craig Everhart has already answered some of the issues in this email.  He has
suggested using symlinks as an alternative.  This is possible but potentially
an administrative nightmare depending on the application creating the data.

Can you explain where the requirement to put >8GB of files in a single
directory comes from?
Is this a third-party application?  What is the file count?  What is the
median and average file sizes?

- jss