Large volumes

Craig_Everhart@transarc.com Craig_Everhart at transarc.com
Tue Dec 11 02:25:10 CET 2001

Excerpts from transarc.external.arla-drinkers: 10-Dec-01 Large volumes
David J. M. Karlsen at davi (944)

> Does [Open]AFS only sync complete volumes? Say I changed (eg. added) a
> 2MB file to the volume /afs/myvol - and the myvol was 8GB - would AFS
> try to sync the entire 8GB - and not only the diff? Does arla support
> larger volsizes?

The volume limit in AFS is pretty much advisory, even the 8GB one.  But
it takes a long time to move or backup or replicate big volumes.  I
don't know what you mean by "sync" a volume.  If you replicate a big
volume and then add a 2MB file to it and then replicate again, just the
new file (and the parent directory) are copied across.  But moving the
big volume (from one place to another) still has to copy all the data.

Sorry, but I don't know the Arla limits.

		Craig