Installing AFS on MacOS X

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Apr 14 01:19:45 CEST 2001

This information comes with no warranty, yadda, yadda, yadda.  I'm
not pointing at an official release of Arla either, so the authors
provide even less than the no warranty the package has to begin with.

That said you should be able to get AFS working on X, and this is my
best reconstruction of how to get as far as I have gotten.

Background:  Arla is an independent open-source implementation of
AFS.  The server is reputedly still flakey, but the client code is
supposed to be pretty good.  You should be able to make it work with
the native kerberos on OS X (perhaps with the addition of a small AFS
interface module from CMU) but I had trouble and just went with the
kth-krb package for my first attempt.  I know that is a good kerberos
4 implementation since I had been using it for a couple of years up
until last year instead of ssh.  (No free ssh clients on the Mac
until the patent ran out.  DES-encrypted kerberos-authenticated
telnet was a pretty good substitute.)

su
mkdir&cd /usr/local/dist
ftp://ftp.pdc.kth.se/pub/krb/src/krb4-1.0.6.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.stacken.kth.se/pub/arla/snap/arla-0.35.4pre1.tar.gz
tar zxvf krb4*
tar zxvf arla*
cd k*6
./configure --prefix=/usr/local
make
make install
pushd /usr/local/lib
ranlib *
/cd /etc
in krb.conf:
	replace first line in krb.conf with JPL.NASA.GOV
	replace jpl line with 'JPL.NASA.GOV kerberos.jpl.nasa.gov'
in realms.conf:
	add line '.jpl.nasa.gov JPL.NASA.GOV'
popd
# You should be able to do kinit/klist/kdestroy with your AFS login now.
cd ../a*1
./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-krb4=/usr/local --without-krb5
make
# ubc_ nested declaration errors are normal.
make install
cd /usr/local/etc
echo "jpl.nasa.gov" >ThisCell
cd /
mkdir afs
# At this point you can use arla-cli to look through AFS

I can't load the kernel module yet, but I expect to get that fixed
soon.  Even this much is enough to be useful.  Wish me luck.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.
h.b.hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu