Another discouraging message (was: Re: arla installation problem?)

Love lha at stacken.kth.se
Mon Sep 25 20:12:25 CEST 2000

Faheem Mitha <faheem at email.unc.edu> writes:

> Dear Arla-drinkers,
>
> I still have little idea how to get things running. I tried typing
> startarla and got
>
> root ~>startarla
> /usr/arla/bin/xfs.o: /usr/arla/bin/xfs.o: No such file or directory
> Creating device /dev/xfs0
>
> I see that I have /usr/arla/bin/xfs.smp.o and /usr/arla/bin/xfs.up.o but
> no /usr/arla/bin/xfs.o. However, I do have /lib/modules/2.2.10/fs/xfs.o
> and /lib/modules/2.2.10smp/fs/xfs.o. (I should add that this is how the
> spec file in the distribution was set up originally). I am out of my depth
> here. Is this a problem (sure looks like it) and if so, what is the best
> way to fix it?
>
> I see that startarla has the lines

There is not xfs.o since the rpm does have a redhat:ism in itself, it build
two kernelmodules, one up and one smp, by setting __BOOT_KERNEL_SMP and
__BOOT_KERNEL_UP, overrideing /boot/kernel.h.

Since I haven't seen a SuSE computer (except one 2 1/2 years ago, and that
was a german installation, so that doesn't count :) I don't know what black
magic is required to make SuSE build a smp and a up (uniprocessor) kernel,
don't even know if that is possible.

startarla doesn't have that magic, but the sysv init script arla.init does.