Another discouraging message (was: Re: arla installation problem?)

Faheem Mitha faheem at email.unc.edu
Sun Sep 24 07:59:32 CEST 2000

Dear Arla-drinkers,

I still have little idea how to get things running. I tried typing
startarla and got

root ~>startarla
/usr/arla/bin/xfs.o: /usr/arla/bin/xfs.o: No such file or directory
Creating device /dev/xfs0

I see that I have /usr/arla/bin/xfs.smp.o and /usr/arla/bin/xfs.up.o but
no /usr/arla/bin/xfs.o. However, I do have /lib/modules/2.2.10/fs/xfs.o
and /lib/modules/2.2.10smp/fs/xfs.o. (I should add that this is how the
spec file in the distribution was set up originally). I am out of my depth
here. Is this a problem (sure looks like it) and if so, what is the best
way to fix it?

I see that startarla has the lines

BINDIR=/usr/arla/bin
CACHEDIR=/usr/arla/cache

insmod $BINDIR/xfs.o

so it is quite reasonably looking for /usr/arla/bin/xfs.o, and not finding
it, because a file of that name was never installed. I supposed I could
modify this by hand, but this seems terribly untidy and inelegant. I would
lean rather towards modifying the spec file appropriately.
Recommendations, please.

On the good side, arlad -t gives me

root ~>arlad -t
2000-09-24 01:50:05: arlad: getting ticket for isis.unc.edu: No ticket
file (tf_util)

So at least something is working. I can't run this as a user (is this
normal behaviour?). As user, if I try to run arlad I get

faheem /usr/arla/bin>arlad -t
2000-09-24 01:51:03: arlad: chdir /usr/arla/cache: Permission denied

and indeed /usr/arla/cache has permissions set for root only.

On last question: How stable is the version of arla I am using (0.35pre).
Should I switch back to 0.34.3 (which I believe is the most recent stable
version)?

                         Best regards, Faheem Mitha.