Cache Problem??

Leif Johansson leifj at it.su.se
Mon Oct 23 11:10:00 CEST 2000

> Jochen Saile <saile at sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
>
> > Hi Love,
> >

> > > I've been thinking about this problem. Was the files accessed by other
> > > clients at the same time or opened (the time between open(2) and close(2))
> > > for a long time (more then 1h) ?
> >
> > the problem occurs, when i am compiling things on the Solaris x86
> > machine.  Unfortunately i cannot paste the real output. I installed Arla
> > 0.34.5 and now i can no longer access AFS. ls /afs hangs... :( But you
> > mentioned some problems with solaris....
>
> I see, its probably since ld mmap;s the file, and we do something wrong
> there. I would guess that the problem that Leif Johansson have with perl is
> related.
>
> I'll see when I get back to Stockholm if I can figure out what is we
> do wrong.
>
> Love

Yep, I also saw strange cache-problems that I had not seen on linux (for
instance) or with the transarc client. The problems are a bit difficult to
describe but I would typically be able hang the shell on $PATH lookup (i.e
you can do `/bin/ls' but not `ls' after doing some volume operations on
the servers (_not_ forgetting to release). Sometimes restarting the cache-
manager would help but sometimes a reboot was needed. This probably does
not help but I thought I'd let you know anyway.

	Cheers Leif