AFS workshop at LISA 2000

Esther Filderman ecf at psc.edu
Wed Nov 1 17:26:23 CET 2000

Apologies to those on the info-afs list who've seen this already :-).
=====

Deadlines for the LISA conference fast approach.  While registration for the
conference doesn't close, the hotel registration deadline is November 10th.
Apparently more rooms have opened up in the "conference" hotel, the Marriott,
so grab them now while you can.

At this time, we are looking at a nice turnout for the AFS workshop.  Among
participants are expected folks from IBM/Transarc Labs, Arla developers and,
of course, members of the Open AFS board.

Some folks have asked me privately about what "participation" means.  We do not
expect everyone who comes to the AFS Workshop to present a paper or give a talk
on a subject, although we encourage people to submit short papers to be
presented or abstracts for a short talk.  We do ask, though, that if you do not
wish to present, that you send us a short paper (or list, perhaps, is a better
term) of the topics you would like to see raised at the Workshop.

You *must* submit at least one of these (a paper/talk or a list of topics) to
be accepted as a participant in the AFS workshop.

Most importantly, we expect the Workshop to be an active event.  That means
folks need to come willing to participate in discussions about various topics.
You do not need to be experts in them, you may only have questions, and you may
only have interests in certain areas.  That's fine, but please don't expect
this to be a day where you sit quietly and are simply lectured at. :-)

Submissions to be an AFS workshop participant should be sent to
afs-workshop at usenix.org.  To best organize things, we are asking that folks
submit no later than 11/22.   If you are thinking of submitting a paper to
present or a talk, please consider getting in touch with us sooner.

Thanks,

Esther Filderman