cp problem

Todd Cohen cohentl at clarkson.edu
Sat May 6 15:43:28 CEST 2000

I figured it out.. since afs is a symlink to my directory, ../.. goes down
the afs tree, not the local directory structure like I thought. So instead
of ../.. being my local account on this box, it was
/afs/clarkson.edu/users/c/o/.

I've also seen this before under linux running arla..

 On 6 May 2000, Assar Westerlund wrote:

> Todd Cohen <cohentl at clarkson.edu> writes:
> > This is with FreeBSD 4.0/i386
> >
> > bash-2.03$ cp gvimrc ../../.gvimrc
> > cp: ../../.gvimrc: Permission denied
> > bash-2.03$ cd ../..
> > bash-2.03$ cp afs/public/gvimrc .gvimrc
> > bash-2.03$
>
> This is really weird, Arla should not be able to see the difference,
> it should just get a reference to the file.
>
> Are there any particular ACLs or bits on the file and directory in
> question?
>
> /assar

http://www.clarkson.edu/~cohentl
"Sometimes crazy things happen in circuits." - Muku, 1999
"The answers to lifes problems aren't at the bottom of bottles, they're on
 TV" - Homer J. Simpson