XFS SoftAssert when doing hard links in AFS?

Love lha at stacken.kth.se
Sat Mar 11 05:42:32 CET 2000

Christopher Allen Wing <wingc at engin.umich.edu> writes:

> This happens when updating mailboxes in AFS. Pine uses a lockfile scheme
> with hard links to do atomic operations. This is the sequence of system
> calls that causes the error: (observed with strace)
> I've seen this in 0.30, 0.31, and the snapshots around both.
[...]
> Earlier versions were fine. 0.27 definitely does not produce this error.
>
> I can do more research into this problem if anyone is interested and can
> help guide me.

We redid the installnode scheme in before 0.30, this way its more sane (and
shorter). But there is a leek somewhere in there, not serious, since we
find (and correct) the misstake.

I tried to do a small c-program that trigged the bug (like we almost always
do, see inte tests/), but I can't reproduce it. I have also tried to run
pine, still no problem.

Can you try to do a shortest complete strace that triggers the bug and put
in on a ftp/web-site ? It there is a some program that triggers the bug, it
would be even better.

Another way to find the buf is to turn on xfs-debugging and looking
at the logs.