arla on linux >= 2.3.99?

Paul Grayson pdg at mit.edu
Tue Jun 27 19:14:54 CEST 2000

Okay, I'm on 2.4.0-test1 now, using the current CVS tree, and the
first compilation error is:

make[2]: Entering directory `/tmp/arla/xfs/linux'
In file included from xfs_load.c:39:
xfs/xfs_locl.h:172: request for member `counter' in something not a structure or union

Here's the line in question:
    return atomic_read(&inode->i_count);
which expands to
    return ((&inode->i_count)->counter);
according to asm/atomic.h

If I change it to just return inode->i_count (what it returned for
pre-2.3 kernels), it compiles fine, and runs.  However, the module
seems to be very unstable...was that the right way to fix this error?

I'd still like to know whether anyone has gotten arla running
successfully on a recent linux kernel!  Let me know...

Thanks,
-Paul