klog to cern

Assar Westerlund assar at stacken.kth.se
Wed Jun 14 16:59:22 CEST 2000

Ton Damen <tond at nikhef.nl> writes:
> Is anyone using arla to access the cell cern.ch? I have problems with
> klog after they changed their afs servers. I modified /etc/krb.conf
> accordingly to this change.
>
> The symptoom is that after klog and giving the password is waits for
> 20 seconds and says:
>
> klog: Unable to authenticate to Kerberos: Retry count exceeded
> (send_to_kdc)

I'm afraid that they either:

1. made their kaserver not listen on port 750
2. drop packets to port 750 in their firewall

And this makes Arla `klog' not work since it uses these ports to
communicate with the ka-server/KDC at cern.ch.  You would have the
same problem with the Transarc NT client, BTW.

So try talking to the cern people and figure out what they are doing
and if you can get them to be somewhat more friendly.

If that does not work, get back to us and we can see if we can solve
the (in my view, non-technical problem) in a technical way.

/assar