arla on FreeBSD 4.0 + Linuxulator anyone?

Robert P Ricci ricci at eng.utah.edu
Mon Jun 12 21:16:20 CEST 2000

Thus spake Assar Westerlund on Sat, Jun 10, 2000 at 12:14:18PM +0200:
> I haven't tried WordPerfect, but Acrobat seems to work fine for me
> (including opening files), and even more complicated stuff like linux
> ls, touch and so on.

Yep, Acoread{3,4} seems to work fine for me under the latest arla too.

> Linux ls seems to duplicate directories sometimes, but I think that
> should be blamed on the on FreeBSD or the Linux-emulation.
>

> Please do tell us what does not work with all available details.
> Everything should basically just work, since the linux emulation layer
> takes place before accessing files and such.  Getting linux pioctl()
> to work would take a little bit more work, but apart from sorting out
> weird details, I don't think it's really hard either.

I've spent some more time playing with WP for linux, on my 4.0-RELEASE
box at work, running arla 0.33.1. I still can't open/save files from
AFS. truss'ing Wordperfect turned up the following:

--- Saving to /tmp (non-AFS) -----------------------------------------
syscall linux_open("/tmp/TestDoc",514,0666)
        errno -2 'No such file or directory'
syscall linux_open("/tmp/TestDoc",66,0666)
        returns 30 (0x1e)
syscall linux_fcntl(0x1e,0x5,0xbfbf8564)
        returns 0 (0x0)                                  <-- Succeedes
syscall linux_fcntl(0x1e,0x6,0xbfbf8594)
        returns 0 (0x0)                                  <-- Succeedes
syscall linux_newfstat(30,0x87b9b24)
        returns 0 (0x0)
syscall linux_fcntl(0x1e,0x2,0x1)
        returns 0 (0x0)                                  <-- Succeedes

--- Saving to my home dir (AFS) --------------------------------------
nux_open("/afs/eng.utah.edu/home/ricci/TestDoc",514,0666)
        errno -2 'No such file or directory'
syscall linux_open("/afs/eng.utah.edu/home/ricci/TestDoc",66,0666)
        returns 28 (0x1c)
syscall linux_fcntl(0x1c,0x5,0xbfbf8564)
        errno -95 'Operation not supported'                  <-- Fails
syscall linux_newfstat(27,0x87b9b24)
        returns 0 (0x0)
syscall close(27)
        returns 0 (0x0)
syscall linux_open("/afs/eng.utah.edu/home/ricci/TestDoc",2,0666)
        returns 27 (0x1b)
syscall linux_fcntl(0x1b,0x5,0xbfbf85c4)
        errno -95 'Operation not supported'                  <-- Fails

This ends up creating an empty file in my home directory, and gives
the error message "An error occured opening the file ...". Seems that
it's the failing fnctl that's causing WP to complain. It seems the
failure only happens when arla and the linuxulator are combined,
because I can save to AFS space just fine with arla under Linux.

--