Q: Problem after server change from 3.4 to 3.5 (fwd)

Ernst Jeschek jeschek at wu-wien.ac.at
Thu Jan 20 17:54:18 CET 2000

On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 04:25:28PM +0100, Ralf Ackermann wrote:
> Initially we used 1 AFS server (AIX 4.2.1 - AFS version 3.4a) and later
> on added another server (AIX 4.3.2 - AFS version 3.5) without problems.
> After Y2K-pachtes to the AIX 4.2.1 machine, we had to upgrade the
> AFS 3.4a to AFS 3.5. No problems yet.
> Now we removed the AIX 4.2.1 machine altogether.
>
> We can access AFS volumes as long as we don't need a token for it - but
> fail to get a token with klog.
> The CellServDB has been updated (only the 1 new server present for our
> AFS domain now) and the machines rebooted - but klog gives:
>
> klog: Unable to authenticate to Kerberos: Retry count exceeded
> (send_to_kdc)

Do your AFS Server have the following entries in /etc/services?

kerberos 88/tcp # Kerberos
kerberos 88/udp # Kerberos
rfile 750/tcp
loadav 750/udp

Then change this to:

kerberos5 88/tcp # Kerberos
kerberos5 88/udp # Kerberos
rfile 750/tcp
loadav 750/udp
kerberos 750/tcp
kerberos 750/udp

and restart the kaserver. We had a similar problem when upgrading an old
AFS Databaseserver to AIX 4.2.

See also: http://www.transarc.com/TRACS/afs/49337

best regards
ernst jeschek

--
Ernst.Jeschek at wu-wien.ac.at                      Fax: +43/1/31336/702
Zentrum fuer Informatikdienste, Wirtschaftsuniversitaet Wien, Austria