kernel crashes with linux-2.2.1[34] and arla >= 0.28

Ronald Wahl Ronald.Wahl at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri Jan 7 12:04:32 CET 2000

On 7 Jan 2000, Love wrote:

> Ronald Wahl <Ronald.Wahl at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de> writes:
>
> > just wanna note that beginning with v0.28 (up and including v0.29.2) arla
> > is not usable at least with linux-2.2.1[34]. I tried cleaning the cache
> > partition but this had no effect. Still the nasty crashes:
>
> Hmmm, dunno what it could be, I have not problem with 2.2.13.
>
> Your Call Trace doesn't make sense at all, are you sure you have the right
> System.map installed (the one that matches the running kernel).

yes

> > It would be nice if this could be fixed.
>
> Do you have a reproduceable case ?

The following is from memory... dunno if its exactly the way to reproduce
it. :-)

1. Clean cache: remove all files from it (except lost+found if it's a
   separate partition).

2. call startarla

3. After that /afs is still empty. Why?

4. Now do an umount /afs and a kill <arlad-pid>. Now the kernel crashes
   and burns. Every call to ps generates kernel dumps and/or freezes the
   whole system.

If you don't clean the cache /afs will contain something after calling
startarla. But accessing it will produce similar kernel register dumps.

... and as I said - arla-0.27 works fine.

ron

--
/\/\  Ronald Wahl                           /\/\        C S N         /\/\
\/\/  ronald.wahl at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de \/\/  ------------------  \/\/