xfs docs?

Love lha at stacken.kth.se
Tue Jan 4 23:46:23 CET 2000

Trevor Schroeder <tschroed at zweknu.org> writes:

> Hello!  Question:  I'm looking at creating an xfs server (non-AFS, SMB to
> be exact) but I'm confronted by a dearth of documentation.

Cool. I have thought about writing a smb userland daemon to xfs a couple of
times.

> Is there any documentation for the xfs device or is my best bet to look
> through the Arla code?

Yes, its mostly not documented. You should read what's there thou. In the
usenix paper assar and joda documented it a little bit
<ftp://ftp.stacken.kth.se/pub/arla/doc/arla.ps>.

Arla has also been used for a filesystem-on-a-smartcard, and they wrote
some documentation,
<http://www.citi.umich.edu/techreports/reports/citi-tr-98-8.pdf>.

We are current trying to write more documentation to make sure that
everything work (almost) the same on all platforms. You can see some of the
work of it in doc/xfs.txt in the tree. (its in the lastest snapshot
<ftp://ftp.stacken.kth.se/pub/arla/snap/arla-m86k.tar.gz>)

It files you want to use are the following:

arlad/xfs.[ch]:
   The userland part of arlad-xfs rpc. There are a tiny bit of afs'ism
   left, but I'm trying to erase that.
xfs/include/xfs/*
   These are things used by the above files, and you need to have
   them for your other parts too.

One problem that I haven't though about yet it how to build the xfs
structure a simple way. There is a lot of dependences on autoconf checkes.

There might be a tiny bit of imformation on mailinglist archive
<http://www.stacken.kth.se/lists/arla-drinkers/>.

If you have any more questions, I'll happly try to answer them.