No Subject

Anonymous Anonymous
Sun Jan 2 06:16:31 CET 2000

The main goal in writing these programs was to achieve maximum
compatibility with the original programs by the same name (minus any truly
stupid bugs or security holes). In many cases, I believe users will find
themselves in a heterogeneous environment where Arla will be used
alongside the official AFS client on different machines, but with the same
shared user accounts.

It is not reasonable to expect such users to be forced to learn different
syntax for the same commands on both platforms. Indeed, even small
semantic differences quickly annoy users, and mercilessly cause scripts to
break.

While it is possible to do much of what these programs can do by using
script wrappers on the programs from KTH-KRB, it is not possible to get
100% of the features.

These features include:
[ klog ]
        - looking up the correct ViceId for the stored token, so that the
          output of 'tokens' is more meaningful for those with access to
          several AFS accounts

        - a new -timeout option, so that authentication won't hang forever
          if the network is down

        - support for the -pipe and -setpag options from the original klog

[ tokens ]
        - the return code of the program can be used from a script to find
          out if any (valid) tokens are present

        - the output format is identical to the original 'tokens' by
          default

[ unlog ]
        - you can now unlog yourself from one or more cells only, leaving
          the rest of your tokens intact

You can download a patch for Arla 0.25 that enables building/installing
klog, tokens, and unlog along with the rest of the utilities in Arla:

http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~wingc/patches/arla-0.25-afsutils.patch

You will also need to apply this patch against Arla 0.25:

http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~wingc/patches/arla-0.25-viocgettok.patch

(I believe the Arla developers already know about the issues in that patch
so it's probably 'fixed in CVS' by now)

The patch adds man pages for klog, tokens, and unlog to the Arla source
(in man/) but they are not yet installed with 'make install'.

The tools seem to work fine but I'd consider them pre-beta; I've just
finished writing and testing them and there may yet be some small bugs and
cosmetic issues.

Comments, suggestions, bug reports, and help in porting would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you very much,

Chris Wing
wingc at engin.umich.edu