No Subject

Anonymous Anonymous
Sun Jan 2 06:15:32 CET 2000

--linas
(sorry for the funny mail formatting; I am forced to use crippleware here
...)

Dan Winship <danw at mit.edu> writes:

> Most OSes these days (or at least the cool ones :) seem to believe
> that /usr should be able to be both read-only and shared across
> multiple machines. Maybe the default cache dir location should be in
> /var instead of /usr?

Most machines I deal with either have /var on the relatively small
root partition, with log rotation set up to keep it from overflowing,
or they have a little /var partition with the same log rotation
stuff. All the big stuff goes somewhere in /usr<blah>. And hey, the
Transarc cache goes in /usr/vice. Also, I'd guess that most users of
Arla are running Linux machines. Most Linux machines are probably
Redhat boxes. Since RPM usually puts everything in /usr, making /usr
be read-only might be painful.

So I guess I don't really see why changing the default to /var is a
good idea.

--nat