Open Cells for Milko?

Seth Aaron Nickell snickell at Stanford.EDU
Thu Apr 20 02:15:11 CEST 2000

Due to *highly* conservative program updating / system administration
(they still use TWM as the default WM!) my school has rendered several
labs full of fast, modern Unix workstations almost useless (IMO). Clearly
they need to ensure that everything works 100% *perfectly* before
installing, but many of use would prefer to track less than 10 years
behind the technology curve =)

My afs quota (about 65 megs) is too small to really be useful to creating
a "useful program" archive, so I've been trying to work out alternate
solutions. Since mounting isn't an option (damn Unix...up with HURD!), AFS
seems a logical choice (particularly since AFS is already the proferred FS
option here ;-)

This obviously leaves milko as the only possible option. But before I go
through configuring milko (again, I failed once a couple months back)...I
wanted to ask feasibility questions.

Is there an "open" cell of sorts wherein I could "add" my volume server
running milko? Could I create my own cell? Is there a way to get it listed
under /afs (I believe my university registers the transarc approved
"default" cells here - very restricted)?

I would particularly like to create my own cell if there were a way, as a
non-superuser, to "add" or utilize my cell as part of the filesystem.

Thanks!

-Seth N.