Pb xfs on linux 2.3.99-pre3

Love lha at stacken.kth.se
Fri Apr 14 15:26:02 CEST 2000

Dr A V Le Blanc <LeBlanc at mcc.ac.uk> writes:

> On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 11:00:39AM +0200, Love wrote:
> > Fixed some other stuff that is in linux 2.3.99-pre4 (haven't check pre5
> > yet). In the cvs-tree. Have to check how to work around/fix the
> > open_dentry() problem.
>
> I hope I can ask this without distressing anyone.  How is it that
> Coda, which in some ways is rather less mature than arla, has
> its module in the 'standard' kernel, and so gets supported more or
> less automatically, so far as I can see, while arla needs to
> be separate?  Are there so many changes to the xfs module that
> arla needs to be kept separate?  Or is it because the support
> for the Linux module needs to be kept parallel to those for
> other OSes?

We haven't pushed to get it into the (linux)-kernel (or any other
kernels). So far there have been changes to the protocol that have made it
easier to not have it i a distribution. That will change when xfs get more
stable.

We will in the future consider pushing to get in to *BSD kernels and Linux
kernels to make our work less when they rewrite their vfs code.

Hope that is a sufficient explanation.