New Cell and Free AFS Server

Love lha at stacken.kth.se
Sun Oct 10 12:55:46 CEST 1999

Rafael Marco de Lucas <rmarco at ifca.unican.es> writes:

>    Hello,
>
>   does exists a free AFS server working ?
>  I would like to install it in a linux redhat 6.0 (or 6.1)
>  PC, I already installed arla afs client and it worked great :-)
>   I had a look at milko but i could not do it work,
>  do you know where can i find more info about it,

Milko isn't working yet. I wouldn't trust *any* data to it yet.
If it seams to work its just a illusion.

Its just put in the sourcetree so: I can hack on it more easy and share
code with arla. You can see there is any progress. If someone wants to hack
there is a base for it.

There are being work done on the afs servers, that is one of the reason you
don't want to run it. Next version will NOT be backward compatible.

Milko is currently having its internals redesigned to avoid stat:ing files
more then one time. This code isn't check in to the cvs repostitory yet.

Short version: DONT USE IT.

I'm just trying to save you from lossing you datan.

When milko is stable, it will be announced to then mailinglist.

>  Also I would like to know how to create a new cell
>  (ifca.unican.es) is it easy ? is it free ?
>  where can i find info about it ?

Yes its free. You need a kerberos4 implementation too. Use the one from
ftp://ftp.pdc.kth.se/pub/krb

There is a README in  $srcdir/milko/.