tiny patch for recognising libncurses

Bjoern Groenvall bg at sics.se
Thu Nov 11 15:24:39 CET 1999

"Patrick J. Lawrence" <pjlawrence at ucdavis.edu> writes:

> > The default krb4 installation installs r(sh|login|cp) suid root and
> > are compatible with other r* implementations. If you don't like the
> > warning message "using standard r..." you can se RSTAR_NO_WARN=yes.
> >
> > Just build with --prefix=/usr and install.
>
> No, that's not correct (at least with the MIT Kerberos V distribution.)
> The r-tools are not backward compatible and when they need to do a
> non-kerberized rsh, they will call the old executable which I have just
> over-written if I set prefix=/usr. :-)

As to what MIT have (not) done I'm absolutely clueless. They don't
export whatever they are doing to the rest of the world. In any case,
krb4-0.10.1 (and all prior versions I can think of) is compatible at a
protocol level with other r* implementations and does not exec any old
executables. R* support is built into rsh, rcp, and rlogin. Because of
the r* compatibility the programs must be installed suid root.

Just grab ftp://ftp.pdc.kth.se/pub/krb/src/krb4-0.10.1.tar.gz and try
it out. At no extra cost, you will also get builtin AFS awareness and
all kinds of other goodies.

/Björn

--
Bjorn Gronvall (Björn Grönvall)                        /_______________/|