FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT, arla-0.23

Robert Watson robert at cyrus.watson.org
Sat May 1 04:41:02 CEST 1999

I did an install on a fresh 4.0-CURRENT machine from shortly before the
FreeBSD egcs integration a month ago, and all appeared to go well until I
attempted to touch /afs:

Apr 30 22:34:56 trojanhorse /kernel: XFS PANIC WARNING!
xfs_message_installroot: called again!
Apr 30 22:34:56 trojanhorse /kernel: XFS PANIC WARNING!
xfs_message_installroot: called again!

After that, things appeared to function normally.

My installation procedure essentially consisted of:

ftp://ftp.stacken.kth.se:/pub/arla/arla-0.23.tar.gz
tar -xvzf arla-0.23.tar.gz
cd arla-0.23
./configure --enable-kld
make
make install
mknod /dev/xfs0 c 128 0
cp /usr/arla/bin/xfs.ko /modules
mkdir /afs
/usr/arla/bin/mount_xfs /dev/xfs0 /afs
/usr/arla/bin/arlad

Then, I did:

ls /afs        # this started taking a while, as I alias ls to ls -F, so
               # I hit ctrl-C
\ls /afs       # the result of this call was the kernel message I saw

Then \ls returned the normal output on /afs.

BTW, have you considered getting a device number allocated so you're not
using a dynamically allocated number, especially given that kld's appear
not to pass back device numbers to userland the way the old lkms did?
Having one allocated is just a question of emailing Jordan
<jkh at freebsd.org> and would probably be worthwhile.

I have plans to submit updates to the FreeBSD ports collection Arla
port--will you be releasing a 0.24 at some point with the recent patches,
or should I include relevant patches in a port based on 0.23?

Thanks again for a great product,

  Robert N Watson

robert at fledge.watson.org              http://www.watson.org/~robert/

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/