inode clashes (linux 2.2.x, arla 0.2x)

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at kf8nh.apk.net
Sat May 1 00:27:54 CEST 1999

In message <ilur9p1u8go.fsf at xiphias.pdc.kth.se>, Simon Josefsson writes:
+-----
| Since I've never seen this when using a AFS client from another vendor
| I wonder whether this is something that can be (or is being) improved
| in arla?
+--->8

I've seen it once or twice.

The problem is that AFS clients must map the AFS file ID, which is 4 32-bit
values, into a 32-bit inode number.  It's quite impossible to completely
avoid collisions, although you might be able to minimize the chances of it
for certain access patterns.

brandon s. allbery	[os/2][linux][solaris][japh]	 allbery at kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	     [WAY too many hats]	   allbery at ece.cmu.edu
carnegie mellon / electrical and computer engineering			 KF8NH