The .@sys question again

Luke Douglas darkwing at mit.edu
Mon Mar 1 20:31:48 CET 1999

(oops...forgot to send this to the list)
Here's the case where I noticed it:

Mathematica creates configuration directories ~/.Mathematica.sysname and
accesses it through the symlink ~/.Mathematica. at sys . Mathematica gives a
fatal startup error if it can't read its home directory. I don't get the
startup error under Transarc AFS, but I do under Arla; and I can verify the
cause by noting that "cd ~/.Mathematica" or "cd ~/.Mathematica. at sys" fails.
I can get a normal startup, though, by making a symlink from ~/.Mathematica
to ~/.Mathematica.sysname .