Netscape: 'Interrupted system call'

Robert Watson robert at cyrus.watson.org
Mon Mar 1 17:11:35 CET 1999

On 1 Mar 1999 assar at stacken.kth.se wrote:

> Robert Watson <robert at cyrus.watson.org> writes:
> > Error opening /afs/andrew/usr4/rnw/www/teletubbies.gif
> > Interrupted system call
> >
> > Don't ask about the filename. :-)  Apparently Netscape does not anticipate
> > receiving EINTR during open()?  Or something like that.  I seem to recall
> > that Coda had this problem for a while; however, one FreeBSD 4.0, open(2)
> > clearly lists EINTR as a possible error return, so it seems more like a
> > Netscape problem really.  (I could be mistaken)
>
> This was a problem with emacs that was using SIGIO and got interrupted
> by that.  So either, that code is not working on FreeBSD 4.0 (but I
> believe it should) or Netscape or doing something else.
>
> Can you run truss/ktrace on Netscape and see what signal it's getting
> while running open?

Sure..  I should have attached that before.  Here's an excerpt from around
the open():

syscall gettimeofday(0x50011f10,0x0)
        returns 0 (0x0)  syscall sigprocmask(0x3,0x0)  Robert N Watson
        returns 0 (0x0)  robert at fledge.watson.org
SIGNAL 14 SIGNAL 14 syscall
stat("/afs/andrew/usr4/rnw/audio3.gif",0xefbfbf40)
        errno 4 'Interrupted system call' syscall
gettimeofday(0xefbfba04,0x0)
        returns 0 (0x0)  syscall sigreturn(0xefbfbaa0)
        errno 4 'Interrupted system call' SIGNAL 14 SIGNAL 14 SIGNAL 14
syscall open("/afs/andrew/usr4/rnw/audio3.gif",1537,0666)
        errno 4 'Interrupted system call' syscall
gettimeofday(0xefbfb9dc,0x0)
        returns 0 (0x0)  syscall sigreturn(0xefbfba78)
        errno 4 'Interrupted system call'