User level permissions

Chris Wing wingc at engin.umich.edu
Mon Jun 28 19:14:27 CEST 1999

Johan:

> > It's worth solving if you want to emulate the behavior of the
> > original AFS.
>
> Ok. I've never felt I had to do that (but we're running as little as
> possible of the transarc stuff).

I agree that emulating every minor detail is a waste of time. However,
regarding the output of 'tokens', printing out the correct AFS ID is a
useful feature in my opinion, and I think it should be implemented in
Arla/KTH-KRB.

I don't even particularly like the behavior and syntax of the programs
from official AFS. 'pts' only performs one operation at a time, while 'fs'
gives you a command prompt. Some of the options are poorly worded ("klog
-tmp", for instance). Howover, having a consistent interface across
different platforms is _very_ important to users. At U-M we have thousands
of Unix workstations running Transarc AFS, and if "klog" doesn't work as
expected on the Linux/BSD machines running Arla, a lot of people will be
confused and annoyed.

> > Like I said, is anyone else interested in a clone of klog that would
> > do this and follow the syntax of official AFS?
>
> Sure. If you can make it reasonably clean, we could add this to kauth
> too (perhaps as a compile-time option or something).

There is a slight chicken-and-egg problem there; you can't build Arla
without installing a Kerberos library, but you'd need arlalib available in
order to build kauth.

I think the right thing to do is to make sure that a working klog is
bundled with Arla.

-Chris

wingc at engin.umich.edu