User level permissions

Chris Wing wingc at engin.umich.edu
Mon Jun 28 16:45:55 CEST 1999

Johan:

> > Before, klist -tokens would list all tokens as being owned by AFS ID
> > == your current UID. This was confusing to people who used klog to
> > get tokens for other AFS accounts.
>
> Is this really a problem worth solving?

It's worth solving if you want to emulate the behavior of the original
AFS. The first time that I had someone try out my klog clone, they assumed
that it didn't work because 'tokens' listed the wrong UID. (they used klog
to get a different token, but since the ID didn't change in the output of
'tokens', they assumed that nothing had happened)

> > So, to do the right thing, we either need to put some of arlalib and
> > pts into libkafs, so that k_afslog() gets the right AFSId by
> > contacting the protection database
>
> Please don't. You don't want to add all of rx/rxkad and other goo into
> the still pretty small libkafs.

Exactly. I was going to add a little (ick) after that suggestion.
Like I said, is anyone else interested in a clone of klog that would do
this and follow the syntax of official AFS?

Thanks,
Chris

wingc at engin.umich.edu