NT client?

Dr A V Le Blanc LeBlanc at mcc.ac.uk
Thu Jan 28 16:55:17 CET 1999

assar at stacken.kth.se wrote:
>The current code works in test mode (--test) under NT with
>cygnus-win32.

Well, here is a report about this.  I found that I could get
KTH Kerberos to compile, once I compiled gdbm and fiddled one
statement which called the non-existent ruserok() function.
(Although it compiles, kinit does not work; but this is more
of a problem for KTH Kerberos than for arla.)

I then tried to compile arlad.  In lib/roken I had to add an
'#include <sys/socket.h>' to recmesg.c and to sendmesg.c.
In lib/ko/gensysname.c, an enum uses the constant O_TEXT,
which already has a meaning from fcntl.h; I just redefined
it to O_TTEXTT.  Finally, in xfs/unknown/xfs/xfs_deb.h I
had to comment out the #include line, which has nothing
to include.  And in doing a 'make install', I had to
edit the Makefiles in appl and in arlad, which had created
zzz.exe, but were trying to install zzz for each of the programs.

At this point, I tried running arlad in test mode.  Despite
not having a ticket, it did indeed see the root of /afs and
allowed me to cd and to cat files.

assar at stacken.kth.se added:
>And then there are two planned ways of obtaining more
>functionality under NT.  The first step would be to implement a
>user-space SMB file server that could be loopback mounted (similar to
>what the Transarc NT AFS Client does).  This should have a much
>shorter and easier development that the second step, an installable
>file system (IFS) for NT.  According to what we understand, this is
>quite complex to write.

Given that the stuff works up to this point, is anyone interested
in taking the next step, implementing a user-space SMB server?
I don't know anything about NT, but I've done a lot of Unix and
AFS programming, so I may be able to help.

     -- Owen
     LeBlanc at mcc.ac.uk