NT client?

assar@stacken.kth.se assar at stacken.kth.se
Mon Jan 25 14:35:51 CET 1999

Dr A V Le Blanc <LeBlanc at mcc.ac.uk> writes:
> Are there any plans to produce an arla client for NT or the other
> MS systems?  As we face the usual pressure to cut expenses and
> to get rid of AFS, which is seen as expensive, the availability
> of a free NT client might make a considerable difference to the
> planners.

The current code works in test mode (--test) under NT with
cygnus-win32.  And then there are two planned ways of obtaining more
functionality under NT.  The first step would be to implement a
user-space SMB file server that could be loopback mounted (similar to
what the Transarc NT AFS Client does).  This should have a much
shorter and easier development that the second step, an installable
file system (IFS) for NT.  According to what we understand, this is
quite complex to write.

We don't have any plans at all for 95 and 98 ports, but assuming this
is not very different from NT, I don't see any reason why this cannot
be done.

As usual, we cannot promise any delivery dates and appreciate comments
and assistance from those interested.

/assar