Questions about running Arla on Solaris 7

Dominic Lai dominic at cs.ust.hk
Thu Jan 7 03:25:07 CET 1999

I'm not sure if we get the same problem.  For me, I happen to make
it work with the following configuration:

1.  kth-krb4 (19981214 snapshot version), because it provides
    afssys.c version 1.62.
2.  arla 0.20
3.  Solaris 7 running in 32-bit kernel.

With the above configuration, arla can access the AFS volume (while
the AFS server is driven by a Transarc package) without problems.
However, I fail to make it work when the OS is running in 64-bit.
Specially, a 64-bit OS refuses to modload a 32-bit kernel driver.

So, I grabbed a copy of Sun Workshop 5.0 Early Access to compile
a 64-bit version of arla and krb.  However, it screws up when
compiling "process.S".  Even though I supplied "-xarch=sparcv9"
for the assembler to generate a 64-bit object file, it still
gave compilation problem.  Specially, it is:

ld: fatal: relocation error: R_SPARC_HI22: file process.o:
           symbol PRE_Block: value 0x400414 does not fit
ld: fatal: relocation error: R_SPARC_HI22: file process.o:
           symbol PRE_Block: value 0x400414 does not fit

Unluckily, I am not good at Sparc Assembly stuff and so I
have no ideas about the magic value on 0x400414.  Helps
are appreciated as I really want to see arla working on
64-bit Solaris 7.  :-)   Thanks in advance.

Dominic

--
Dominic Lai, Assistant Computer Officer, CS System Group
Computer Science Department, The Hong Kong University of Science & Technology