Arla 0.22 on FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT

Robert Watson robert at cyrus.watson.org
Thu Feb 25 15:47:13 CET 1999

What is the appropriate way to unmount Arla? :-)  I tried:

1) kill arlad
2) umount_xfs /afs

And it appears to have deadlocked:
% ps awxl | grep arla
    0   271     1   4 -14  0  7840 3636 vgone  DEs   ??    0:00.00
(arlad)
% ps awxl | grep umount
    0  2000  1974   0  -2  0   920  268 vfsloc D+    p8    0:00.01
./umount_xfs /afs

This is the reverse order of startarla, so I figured it should do the
right thing.  Oh well.  :-)

Apart from these few things (version of KTH in FreeBSD not adequate,
directory cache coherrency with kernel on moves, and not sure how to shut
down properly, some trouble getting cross-realm to work), everything seems
to work quite nicely. I've had Arla running for over 12 hours now, and
have poked around quite a bit.

Thanks for the great work,

On 25 Feb 1999, Love wrote:

> Robert Watson <robert at cyrus.watson.org> writes:
>
> > I successfully built Arla 0.22 on FreeBSD 4.0 using the --with-kld
> > argument.  It appears to work nicely apart from two problems:
> >
> > 1) I can't acquire tokens, because the KTH distribution with FreeBSD 4.0
> > appears not to come with afslog.  I'm working on digging one up.
>
> Since I have a problem getting it, I can only recommed you run the real
> stuff (and use a alpha-version since IMHO 0.9.9 is broken).
>
> > 2) When I run /usr/arla/bin/fs, I get:
> > Error detecting AFS
> >
> > Is this supposed to work?
>
> Yes, if you have a libkafs that accully works. Don't know if that is the
> case with FreeBSD libkafs.
>
> Love

  Robert N Watson

robert at fledge.watson.org              http://www.watson.org/~robert/
PGP key fingerprint: 03 01 DD 8E 15 67 48 73  25 6D 10 FC EC 68 C1 1C

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
SafePort Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/