Access to ~websrch/bin directory

Neulinger, Nathan R. nneul at umr.edu
Wed Feb 17 22:00:05 CET 1999

At this moment in time, after the problem has occured, I can do:

	ls /afs/.umr.edu/software/websrch/bin

without any trouble at all, but the following command hangs:

	ls /afs/umr.edu/software/websrch/bin

[root at webindex /root]# /home/local/arla/bin/fs lsm /afs/.umr.edu
'/afs/.umr.edu' is a mount point for volume '%root.cell'
[root at webindex /root]# /home/local/arla/bin/fs lsm /afs/umr.edu
'/afs/umr.edu' is a mount point for volume '#root.cell'

At the time, the only other process running in AFS was the web server, which
was running out of the directory: /afs/umr.edu/software/websrch/apache-root.

The debug output of the first ls is in:

	http://www.umr.edu/~nneul/debug-traces/arla-ls-rw-19990217.gz

The output of the second ls (control-C'd after about 30 seconds):

	http://www.umr.edu/~nneul/debug-traces/arla-ls-ro-19990217.gz

Got yet another symptom for you. On this machine, killing arlad (even after
umounting /afs) locks up the machine. Still responds to ping, but doesn't
get any other response.

I did some additional testing. If I don't start up the web server at _boot_,
the problem does not occur. In addition, it also doesn't cause the lockup on
kill of arlad if I haven't started httpd at boot. Changing the arlad startup
to arlad -z -f instead of arlad -z in startarla didn't appear to help. It
may be an issue of access too soon after arlad is started. Adding a sleep 30
after startarla runs also didn't appear to help.

Sorry about sending you so much stuff, hopefully it will help to resolve
this problem. At least I am now able to reliably reproduce it. (The really
unfortunate thing is that this may not be the same problem I was
experiencing before - my original problem report that is - but when you get
down to it, all the problems needs to be fixed eventually.)

-- Nathan

Nathan Neulinger                       EMail:  nneul at umr.edu