arla 0.21 Oops on Linux 2.2.1

Magnus Ahltorp map at stacken.kth.se
Fri Feb 5 23:07:42 CET 1999

> The reason for my objection is that once you start wiring paths based on
> anything other than $(prefix), it becomes a pain to maintain for numbers of
> machines. In particular, locally we install everything to AFS, and
> occasionally overlay that onto the local machine.
>
> I personally really dislike it when I tell a product to install to
> /some/path and it goes and put's something in another directory. (Netatalk
> went and installed stuff into my pam directory for example.) If I hadn't of
> been paying complete attention, I never would have been able to take that
> install to another machine and have it work, since I wouldn't have been
> aware of that pam config file.

I agree. This is one of the reasons I didn't make libgetcwd.so install
into /lib. I will (as I have already said) consider making a separate
target for installation into /lib/modules. Personally, I don't really
see why it would be better to have xfs.o there, but as a separate
target, it will hopefully hurt noone.

/Magnus
map at stacken.kth.se