DCE/DFS

linas@us.ibm.com linas at us.ibm.com
Fri Aug 20 01:04:09 CEST 1999

>>  Seems to me that DFS is a bit complicated and a linux port probably
>>  isn't going
>>  to happen anytime soon in the Open Source community short of a major
>>  miracle.
>
>Maybe not "written from scratch", but it does exist:
>http://www.bu.edu/~jrd/FreeDCE

Right. Exactly.  If you look at the date stamps, you'll notice that jrd -- Jim
Doyle, hasn't been at BU for over a year.  In particular, I beleive that web
site is at risk of disappearing, since it is no longer actively
maintained/sponsored.  Anyone care to mirror it? Note also that snap007 needs
additional work to make it work on the latest kerenels and os releases.  Note
that "snap007" represents many months worth of work of "recompilng the tog dce
sources for linux".

Tomas Berndtsson is the fellow who started the linux dfs port; he's accepted a
job to continue that port, but the sources won't be free ...

so "it does exist"  should really be more like "it barely exists"...

--linas