Is Arla free for accessing IBM AFS servers?

Christer Bernérus bernerus at cs.chalmers.se
Thu Aug 19 10:49:25 CEST 1999

Karsten Thygesen wrote:

> Gerhard> This licensing scheme is (IMO) a major blow for AFS as a
> Gerhard> product.  There are features which might be very suitable for
> Gerhard> operations such as ISPs, but the licensing terms renders it
> Gerhard> unusable for them.
>
> As an university, we seriously considers to move towards AFS and we
> also interpret "registered entities" as entries in the KAS
> server. However, with the number of students we have, AFS is very
> expensive compared to our limited budgets and until now, we have not
> been able to find the funding for a full deployment.
>
> Gerhard> Well, time to look for alternatives ...

Ir you run DFS you can have a security server from Compaq, HP or SGI, or you can even compile
your own from
the free TOG sources!

(OK, You'll have to set up DCE etc, the suggestion is only to point out the absurdness of that
licensing scheme)

Christer Bernirus
Chips (DCE) Project Manager
Chalmers University of Technology