arla rpms for redhat 6.0?

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at kf8nh.apk.net
Fri Apr 30 00:38:55 CEST 1999

(Someone might want to copy this to the KTH krb4 mailing list; I'm not on it
and don't know where it lives.)

In message <990429222336.ZM15796 at ssadler.phy.bnl.gov>, "Stephen Adler" writes:
+-----
| This was exactly my plan.... But I'm stuck with gdbm/ndbm issues building
| kerberos right now....
+--->8

Red Hat 6/glibc2.1 build issues?

Snippets from my KTH build script:

# sddd: -lndbm isn't there, but -ldb contains it.  and isn't checked.
# also need KTH's ndbm.h.Linux (which is now in build dir sans suffix)
*_linux2[2-9]*)
    CC="${CC-gcc} -I`pwd`" export CC
    LIBS="$LIBS -ldb" export LIBS
    conf="$conf --with-mailspool=/var/spool/mail"
    cfghack=y
    ;;

# ( . . . )

    ./configure --prefix="$prefix" --disable-cat-manpages $conf
    if [ $cfghack = y ]; then
        # glibc2.1 exports getmsg(), but Linux lacks STREAMS
        ed - config.status <<\EOF
g/HAVE_GETMSG/d
g/STREAMSPTY/d
EOF
    ./config.status
fi

# # #

You don't need the --disable-cat-manpages and --with-mailspool stuff; that's
just local hackery.

There is one more issue:  seems the check for utmpx.h use of __e_termination
and __e_exit doesn't work.  I added ifdefs based on glibc version to hack
around that, but a fixed configure check is the correct answer (because it
tries to detect that already; it fails with glibc2.1's include files for some
reason).  This affects appl/bsd/rlogind.c and appl/telnet/telnetd/sys_term.c.

The resulting krb4 is running quite nicely on Red Hat 6, aside from the fact
that it doesn't understand the (optional) new MD5 passwords.  I'll be looking
over the PAM code --- they don't use library routines; the MD5 and base64
code is all in pam_pwdb.so --- to see what is needed to add RH MD5 password
support to su and possibly login.  (It looks like it might be compatible with
BSD MD5 passwords, so that could well solve two platform issues in a single
stroke.  It is *not* compatible with a quick attempt using KTH's own MD5 and
base64 stuff, but that could easily be a typo on my part in putting together
the quick attempt....)

brandon s. allbery	[os/2][linux][solaris][japh]	 allbery at kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	     [WAY too many hats]	   allbery at ece.cmu.edu
carnegie mellon / electrical and computer engineering			 KF8NH