arla rpms for redhat 6.0?

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at kf8nh.apk.net
Thu Apr 29 23:59:03 CEST 1999

In message <19990429172741.15259.rocketmail at web214.mail.yahoo.com>, Jim Nance w
rites:
+-----
| or something like that.  When I install it here I put
| everything under /usr/afsws because thats where our
| AFS stuff is on our transarc supported platforms.  If
| Red Hat ever ships arla as part of its distribution I
| am sure they will try to package it up in accordance
| with where the FHS says they should go:
| ftp://ftp.pathname.com/pub/fhs-2.0.tar.gz
+--->8

Which will break the world:  unless an AFS-aware program comes out of Andrew
(old = /usr/andy, new = /usr/local) it assumes /usr/afsws, largely thanks to
AIX.

The best idea for RPM would be to choose some reasonable default, then build
a relocateable RPM so "rpm --prefix" can be used to install it wherever is
preferred in the local environment.

brandon s. allbery	[os/2][linux][solaris][japh]	 allbery at kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	     [WAY too many hats]	   allbery at ece.cmu.edu
carnegie mellon / electrical and computer engineering			 KF8NH