pwd gives segmentation fault

Magnus Ahltorp map at stacken.kth.se
Sun Oct 25 02:40:50 CET 1998

> Everything seemed working fine except that the "pwd" command gave me
> the following error message - "pwd: cannot get current directory" when I
> accessed a remote AFS cell.  I did follow the recipe from the
> arla-0.13/INSTALL file to fix the problem.   However, the problem became
> worse and the new error message was - "segmentation fault (core dumped)"
> when put "/lib/getcwd.so" in /etc/ld.so.preload.  What did I do wrong?

The segmentation fault, was it when trying to run "pwd"? In that case,
I have never seen it before, but I _have_ seen it on setuid programs
(and netscape). The code that getcwd.so consists of is very
straight-forward, and I doubt that there are any bugs in it.

There have been speculations that the problem lies in the dynamic
linker, but this has not been confirmed.

If it occurs when running all programs, it's very bad, since the
getcwd.so is very vital for system functionality (as you have seen,
cwd fetching does not work very well without it). If you could do some
more testing, like when it segfaults and not, it would be very
valuable.

/Magnus
map at stacken.kth.se