file corruption with arla

Jim Nance jim at sailboat.acs.uncwil.edu
Mon Oct 5 22:18:19 CEST 1998

Hello All,
    I have been playing around with arla for a couple of months.  Overall,
I am very pleased/impressed with the software.  Unfortunately I do have
a problem to report.  What happens is that when I build software in an
AFS directory tree I will eventually get corrupt files in the cache.  Doing
an fs flushv path_to_file will uncorrupt the file.  The file and length of
time it takes to become corrupt is random, but I can never get through a
large build successfully because something will always get corrupted.
    I initially assumed that the contents of the file were just trash, but
I looked a little harder today.  It seems that the bad files actually
contain good copies of other files.  Its like the mapping of cached file
to cached file name has become corrupt.  I have seen this problem with
several versions of arla and several versions of the 2.1.X linux kernel.
My current configuration is Red Hat 5.1+updates, linux 2.1.124, and
arla-0.13.
	If anyone would like more information, please let me know.

Thanks,

Jim