Machine hanging with arla-0.12

Dr A V Le Blanc LeBlanc at mcc.ac.uk
Fri Oct 2 11:31:52 CEST 1998

On Fri, Oct 02, 1998 at 05:59:47AM +0200, Assar Westerlund wrote:
> So I've been running 2.1.123 + the debugging malloc patches that I
> sent you earlier (with the obvious typo fixed :-) and the appended
> patch which add a few xfs_free's and it does seem to be working.
> Anyways, please try this patch (I included the
> previous one as well) and tell me if your hangs still occur.

I'm sorry; I seem to have missed the second patch, but since you
included it in this third one (along with the first patch), I've
now put it in.   Then I copied the 800-odd files from /arla to a
local disk (580mb).

Symptoms:  performance is incredibly better, there are no hangs, and a
job which took several hours with /afs mounted using NFS now completes
in about 10 minutes, leaving the system normal afterwards.  There are
two unfortunate side effects: many of the files copied by this job are
now coming across corrupt.  Moreover, a long series of cmps to find out
how many files got corrupted causes the system to panic.  (These are
"for i in `cat files`;do cmp $localdir/$i /arla/xxx/$i;done" jobs, so
they are reading all the files from arla a second time.)

Clearly progress is being made.  Thanks again, Assar, for the
very quick response.

     -- Owen
     LeBlanc at mcc.ac.uk