patch: arla 0.5 on Linux/glibc2

Love Hörnquist-Åstrand lha at stacken.kth.se
Fri May 1 13:39:11 CEST 1998

Brad Keryan <keryan at andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> Here's a minor patch to get arla 0.5 to build on Linux/glibc (RedHat 5.0,
> x86).

I have got hold of a linux-glibc-intel thingy and did this a diffrent way.
That will be in the 0.6 release.

> It also changes the linking of libroken from -lroken to
> .../libroken.a because otherwise gcc finds the libroken.a from kth krb4
> and uses that; is there a better way to make it link against the right
> library?

Hmmmm, i think some old version of kth-krb used to install libroken
but the lastest doesn't so that should not be a problem.

> I still haven't gotten the kernel part working with Linux 2.0.33/x86 and
> have not had the time to take a closer look.

There is work (not by me) going on to fix support for 2.1.

> Also, what does everybody think of the idea of an ftp-type interface to
> arla? I think it would be useful to extend the "arlad -t" interface to
> allow "put" and "get" commands and other niceties. Would it be better to
> make this a separate program from arlad, with a per-user cache? Also, does
> any of arlad need root privileges for anything other than directory
> permissions on /usr/arla/*?

Right now i bind's to port 4711 (easier to tcpdump ;) The fix to cache is
simple since we use ARLACACHEDIR on all places. It would not be
too hard to fix per-user cache.

If you add lcd, get (the cat_cmd to file, and put. I'll happly fix the
per-user cache and the binding. I guess there is no need for a new
program.