AFS authentication problem

Assar Westerlund assar at sics.se
Fri Mar 20 19:52:04 CET 1998

Cheng Jin <chengjin at eecs.umich.edu> writes:
> I am in the subdomain of eecs.umich.edu, which is not officially part of
> the cell umich.edu(I don't know if this is the right way to put it.)  I
> manually configure ThisCell to be "umich.edu", and I kauth into the cell
> "umich.edu", but I can't access my files under umich.edu.  Is one tgt from
> the kerberos server not enough?  I have two tickes under my regular
> umich.edu sessions, one is the tgt from kerberos, and the other is from
> afs at umich.edu, which I assume is something from the afs server, but I
> can't figure out a way to get this second ticket.

Are you running arlad in test-mode (`--test' or `-t') or in deamon
mode?  In test mode it tries to obtain tokens for your local cell (the
one written in /usr/arla/etc/ThisCell).  Does this fail?  With what
error message?  Can you do a klist before and after starting arlad in
test-mode?

When running arlad in deamon mode you have to authenticate by running
`afslog' (or one of the other afs-enhanced krb programs).  You should
see some debug output from arlad when doing this.  You can also look
at the return code from afslog.  If you manage to obtain tokens they
should be visible with `klist -T'

> BTW, what does "arla" mean in swedish, some kind of wine? beer?

See question 17 in the README.

/assar