appl/arlalib.c's arlalib_get_cred() problems

John Hawkinson jhawk at bbnplanet.com
Wed Jun 17 23:41:00 CEST 1998

Pursuant to <5lhg5g3hjn.fsf at assaris.sics.se>, arlalib_get_cred()
in appl/arlalib.c has the same problem that arlad/arla.c used
to have when calling get_cred() -- it should be trying to
get tickets for

	afs.cellname at REALMNAME

before

	afs at REALMNAME

. This is necessary for ATHENA.MIT.EDU, for instance
(afs.athena\.mit\.edu at ATHENA.MIT.EDU).

Unfortunately, it's not quite so easy to fix arlalib_get_cred() to do
this, since it needs to have the cellname, and it's not clear how that
information should be conveyed there (this is my excuse for not
submitting a patch; if you want to tell me how to architect it...).

Also, it would be nice if the default cell could be obtained from the
AFSCELL environment variable before checking the ThisCell file,
like in the TransArc utilities.

Ideally arlad -t would also use arlalib_get_cred()...

thanks.

On an unrelated note, I find that the instruction in INSTALL for
installation on Solaris need some help.  One shouldn't have to mknod
stuff by hand; the appropriate invokation of add_drv and editting
/etc/devlink.tab should be sufficient. I haven't quite figured out
what's necessary yet.

Also, kthkrb's kafs seems to assume that afs will have a fixed
syscall number. This is inconsistent with INSTALL, which
implies you can pick any unused number (and you ought to be
able to) for /etc/name_to_sysnum.

Grumble grumble. :-)
I guess I'll try to figure out how to get around that, too.

--jhawk